Like many a genre writer, Stephen King has gotten a bad rap for much of his career, written off because he appeals to a popular audience, when in fact his work exposes, with real acuity, a lot about who we are.
--The LA Times’ David L. Ulin expertly articulates what I, in my eternal fanboyishness, routinely manage to botch/dumb down. Nice piece about reading Stephen King. (via zachdionne)
Bill Clinton and Mindy Kaling pick their must-have books of the holiday season. Upon reviewing Clinton’s list, Mindy said she would have chosen more “PhD-friendly books.” That’s just silly…
Watch the clip (and hear Ann Curry say ‘semen’) and check out their book selections below:
Mindy Kaling’s list
- “11/22/63” By Stephen King
- “Bossypants” By Tina Fey
- “Lady Gaga X Terry Richardson” By Lady Gaga and Terry Richardson
- “My Father’s Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness” By Gwyneth Paltrow
- “Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty” By Andrew Bolton
- “The Girl in the Green Raincoat: A Tess Monaghan Novel” By Laura Lippman
- “The Marriage Plot: A Novel” By Jeffrey Eugenides
- “Look I Made a Hat: Collected Lyrics (1981-2011) with Attendant Comments, Amplifications, Dogmas, Harangues, Digressions, Anecdotes and Miscellany” By Stephen Sondheim
- “The Art of Fielding” By Chad Harbach
- “What to Wear, Where: The How-to Handbook for Any Style Situation” By Hilary Kerr and Katherine Power
Bill Clinton’s list
- “Jerusalem” By Simon Sebag Montefiore
- “Lincoln” By David Herbert Donald
- “Meditations” By Marcus Aurelius
- “The Way of the World: From the Dawn of Civilizations to the Eve of the Twenty-First Century” By David Fromkin
- “The Cure at Troy: A Version of Sophocles’ Philoctetes” By Seamus Heaney
- “One Hundred Years of Solitude” By Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- “King Leopold’s Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa” By Adam Hochschild
- “Nonzero: The Logic of Human Destiny” By Robert Wright
Best Friend Rights And Responsibilities | Mindy Kaling (reading an excerpt from Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?)
Anything in your closet is co-owned by me.
It is super weird for us not to share a bed.
Your boyfriend is never going to tell your skirt is too tight and riding up too high.
Holy shit, take that off, that looks terrible.
I can ditch you within reason.
I will keep your favorite feminine hygiene product at my house.
I will try to like your boyfriends five times.
As everyone knows, depressed people are some of the most boring people in the world.
If our phone conversation gets disconnected, there is no need to call back.
I will hate and re-like people for you but you can’t get mad if I can’t keep track.
Please try to remember to text me.
Bender’s Reading List
On the most recent episode of Futurama, Bender gets overclocked and procedes to whiz through several books a la Data in Star Trek: The Next Generation. The writers had some fun with the book titles as they quickly whizzed by on screen. Here they are in order of appearance.
- Advanced Calculus
- Decline and Fall of the Romulon Empire
- The Oxford English Pictionary
- Anti-Gravity’s Rainbow
- NNYC Phone Book
- Wuthering Gattaca
- The Mathketball Diaries
- Advanced Calculus [Again]
- Every Translation of the Iliad
- How to Kill A Mockingbird
- Ventriloquism for Dummies
- Dante’s Life in Hell
- Connecticut Tax Law
- Google Book
- Big Book of Tumbleweeds
- Guinness Book of Parallel World Records
- VCR Repair
- The Collected Wisdom of Braino
- How I Conquered Your Planet
- Complete Simpson Episode Guide
- All the Presidents’ Heads
- Shakespeare Typed by Monkeys, Volube 78
- The Sithal War
- Calculon on Calculon
- Ayn Rand McNally Atlas Shrugged
- Some of the Digits of Pi
- Genome of the Flatworm, Volume 12
Later in the episode, The Hyperchicken (the large blue/green rooster-like attorney with southern mannerisms) has a book at the defendant’s table that says “Leges Avium”, which is Latin for “Laws of Birds.”
Formerly of BuzzFeed.
Named one of Buzzfeed's '90 Best Tumblrs Blogs of 2011.'
Editor of Tumblr's official Celebs tag and sometimes featured in News, Politics and Television.
Once 'pulled a Gwyneth' and appeared on BuzzFeed, HuffPo and Jezebel.
Obama follows me and I'm forever humbled.
Co-creator of Texts From Hillary.