Tuesday marks day 4 of the Keystone XL protests outside the White House.
- As of Monday night, 162 people (including Bill McKibben) have been arrested.
- Over 2,000 volunteers have volunteered to participate in the sit-ins through September 3rd.
- Notable volunteers include Mark Ruffalo and Daryl Hannah who calls the protests “courageous acts of civil disobedience.”
Why are they protesting?
- To stop the destruction of 740,000 acres of boreal forest.
- To prevent 700,000 barrels of crude oil from being pumped through 1,700 miles of pipeline crossing through the heartland of America.
- Extraction of oil from tar sands is creates more greenhouse gas than conventional methods.
- Oil and gas pipelines accidents are all too common.
- The pipeline system is unsafe and dangerous for the environment and the people who live near them.
Ways to contribute: